Thursday, November 25, 2010

And Another Two Bite the Dust...

Two incumbent Democrats conceded their close races Tuesday to Republican challengers: Solomon Ortiz to Blake Farenthold in TX-27 and Daniel Maffei to Ann Marie Buerkle in NY-25.

Maffei had the option to ask for a hand recount, but decided to forego it.  Of the other three races I mentioned in my last post, one went Democrat and the the other two remain in doubt.
The Associated Press has declared Jim Costa the victor over Andy Vidak in CA-20.  Vidak had lead by 27 votes on election night, but as absentee and mail-in ballots were counted Costa pulled ahead by just over 3,000 votes.

The CA-11 McNerney-Harner and the NY-01 Bishop-Altschuler races remain up in the air, but the Democrats lead in both, though by a very small margin in Bishop's case.

The present count by the liberal New York local paper is 242-191, and the final result will probably be 242-193, a swing of 63 seats.

I know I need to stop reminding you that my last prediction was swing of 64 to 243-192*, but I just can't!

*The first version of this post had 243-193, but that's one more seat than there is in the House, and the 64 vote swing is only consistent with the split I've corrected to.