Friday, March 2, 2012

Andrew Breitbart: A Great Loss for Our Cause

Jonah Goldberg was devastated on hearing of Andrew Breitbart's death.

Matt Welch was filled with memories at the loss of his friend.

For those of you who don't remember Breitbart's contributions to the development of the political internet and the outing of political hypocrisy, here is Slate's in-depth bio from a couple years back, not all complimentary.

Thaddeus McCotter's eulogy in the well of the House of Representatives -- thanks to my brother -- says almost all there is to say, but I want to add a personal note.

Breitbart was at the March 2011 Club for Growth Winter Economic Conference, Sherry's and my 7th.  He was relatively subdued, his over-the-top persona infrequently glimpsed.  In the lead-in to a question I asked him, I said it was important not to give the left the satisfaction of their choice of words to describe themselves -- progressives -- but rather to label them as the ideologues that they are by always calling them progressivists.  He nodded and grinned in delight.

Later that day after another panel and another question from me, he noted my use of the word again, and laughed.  when I handed him my political business card, he laughed again in approval at my self-designation as Agent Provacateur, though I thought he deserved the title far more than I.

He was scheduled to appear at this year's Conference, beginning just next week, and I was anticipating the encounters.

He will be sorely missed.