Thursday, February 17, 2011

Whose Constitution is It?

Ruth Marcus is "bristling" at conservatives who insist that the Constitution has been hijacked by the left and who are out to take it back.  She says " Hey. It's my constitution, too!"

She is leg-tingling proud of Obama for offering up morality -- presumably his and hers -- as the proper authority for government action.  She quotes him as saying

"... I continue to believe that in a caring and in a just society, government must have a role to play; that our values, our love and our charity must find expression not just in our families, not just in our places of work and our places of worship, but also in our government and in our politics."
Okay.  I understand their desire to have government step in to do things they consider moral, just, and fair.  I even accept that Congress and the President may have the authority to set up and fund programs that implement their morality... as long as they can find words in the Constitution or its Amendments that were generally understood when those words were ratified by the States as justifying their programs . 

Until that happens, it's not her Constitution.

I'm willing for her to propose an amendment that authorizes the moral programs she and Obama seek.  I'm even willing to accept her amendment if it's submitted to the states and ratified by the States according to the procedures of Article V.

Until then, it's not her Constituion.

Until then, it's the Constitution that protects me from having to pay for her idea of morality, justice, equity.

Until then, it's my Constitution that they've hijacked, and I'm out to take it back.